One-pot meals are always hit in my family and for me it’s the easiest job. Couple of weeks back few of my friends visited us and I made this awesome turkey kheema biryani, and their reaction was little shock but after they tasted it they fell in love with the recipe.
Everyone thinks that biryani is a very complex dish and very difficult to make, but trust me it’s the easiest and super delicious dish you could every make. So let’s go to the recipe
For this dish, you can use any kind of minced meet (lamb, chicken, beef, and pork). Fragrant and spicy kheema masala are layered with the partially cooked basmati rice and garnished with saffron and nuts. Very easy to make and here are the steps to follow.
- 2 Cups Basmati rice
- 3-1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1″ Piece of Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cardamoms
- 4-5 Cloves
- 3 Black Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Star Anise
- 1-1/2 tbsp Clarified butter or Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
For kheema Masala:
- 1 Pound Minced Meat (I used Turkey)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4-5 Green Chillies (sliced)
- ¼ Cup English Peas
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder (You can reduce the spice)
- 1 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 Cup Milk (warm) and few strands of Saffron (Mix the saffron in warm milk and set aside.)
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, mint, green onion (Chopped)
- Cashews (optional)
How to cook Kheema:
- In a deep pan heat the oil at medium temperature, add onions, green chilles and fry them until the onion is translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and fry them for few seconds.
- Now add the minced meat, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and mix it properly on a high temperature.
- Once the lamb is fried to golden brown in color reduce the heat to medium temperature and add the garam masala, red chilli , cumin, coriander powder and green peas.
- Cook few more minute over medium temperature and then keep it aside.
To Cook Rice:
- Wash the rice thorougly couple of times and drain the water.
- Now take a pan and heat the clarified butter, add all the ingredients except vegetable stock and salt and fry them properly.
- Add the stock and 1/2 tsp salt and cook the rice until it is just half done. Drain out all the liquid and set it aside.
Setting the Biryani:
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees temperature
- Take a heavy bottom pan and first spread the thick layer of kheema masala in the pan, now add the rice on top of kheema.
- You can do multiple layers or just two layers of kheema and rice.
- Now add the saffron milk on top of the rice and cover it with silver foil.
- Cook the rice in the oven for 20 minutes. Once it is done just garnish it with nuts and chopped mint,cilantro and green onion.
Serve the hot keema biryani with cold raitha or your choice of accompaniments.
Linked To: This is my contribution Black and White Wednesday #72 hosted this week by Simona of the Briciole. Thanks to Susan for creating this event and to Cinzia who is organizing this event so beautifully.